Friday, January 20, 2012

Interview Guide Questions

So yesterday, I met with Dr. Cole (who is awesome) from the public health department and bounced some project ideas off of him. As a result, I have a list of some contacts in South Africa that I need to explore, and I have a better idea of my project method. At this point, I think I want to conduct interviews with people that attend the HIV clinics in East London. What I'm not sure about yet, is if I want to compare men to women, participants in one program to those in another, or just interview all women and use some of the questions I ask to differentiate groups. The questions I ask are also going to depend on what I want to do with the data once I have it. Am I looking to get solid statistics, or just descriptive information? I've never done this before, and I don't know what is reasonable to expect from the field study. What do people normally do?

Right now, these are some of the questions I plan to include in the survey:

  1. HIV/AIDS status
  2. Gender
  3. Marital status
  4. Number of children/dependents
  5. How often they eat (I know this one will need to be clarified, but I probably need to figure out what normal eating patterns in SA are first)
  6. What they eat (I want to compare the information I get from this one to the recommendations from the WHO)
  7. How often they take their ARVs
  8. How they feel throughout the day
So there's my preliminary interview guide. I still need to flush it out and figure out how to make the questions specific enough to get good answers, without making them leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment