Au, J. T., Kayitenkore, K., Shutes, E., Karita, E., Peters, P.J., Tichacek, A., Allen, S. A., (2006). Access to adequate nutrition is a major potential obstacle to antiretroviral adherence among HIV-infected individuals in Rwanda. AIDS 20(16), 2116-2118. doi: 10.1097/01.aids.0000247580.16073.1b
The purpose of this study was to determine the obstacles individuals in Rwanda face when initiating ARV therapy. Out of 71 HIV/AIDS patients given a questionnaire, 76% indicated that a major barrier to ARV therapy initiation was fear of being too hungry without enough to eat. This study is pertinent to my field study in that it again shows the need for providing nutritional support to HIV/AIDS patients. I may be able to use it as background when I write up my research. However, this study was conducted in 2006, and I have already found the Weiser study done in 2010 which not only indicates that food insecurity is a barrier to adhering to ARV therapy, but explains the reasons why. One difference between the two studies that is of note, is that this study gathered data through surveys, whereas the Weiser study conducted interviews. I may want to take more time to consider which would be of greatest benefit to my project.
No comments:
Post a Comment