I'm stagnating, I'm stagnating!! Guess what everyone, I have hit the February doldrums and I am struggling for things to say. I'm trying to stop from slipping into 'make it by' mode and trying to continue to be enthusiastic about this project. Why does enthusiasm have to be so exhausting some times?
In class on Wednesday, we talked about families, specifically the host family we will be staying with in the field. We talked about their house, who lives with them, what they like to do in the evenings, what they don't like to do. Heather mentioned that while living with the Thomases, if we intend to build a relationship with them, we will need to put forward the effort to let them know we want to get to know them. I don't think that will be a problem for me because I like spending time with people. What might be interesting, is seeing how my idea of getting to know someone differs from theirs. Heather said the Thomases are not big about family dinners, usually choosing to fend for themselves and then come together in the evening to watch their favorite soap. To me, food is a great way to bond, but soap operas are a waste of time. One of the biggest ways I have built my relationship with my mom over the last ten years is through food. I always make an effort to help her in the kitchen when I can, and we enjoy making and eating delicious things together. That's what I know how to do. However, I also like watching movies with my mom, so maybe some of that will be able to transfer over with the Thomases, even if we're watching soaps. I really hope that this will be a good experience and that my ideas of gender roles and bonding activities won't get in the way of my relationship with my host family.
No comments:
Post a Comment