Friday, February 24, 2012

Contacting

Takeaways from the inquiry conference:

Use reactivity for your advantage
Sometimes, it's not worth talking about sensitive topics
For gender issues: "data could have been much richer if I had interviewed men as well"

I felt that this was a very valuable experience for me as I'm preparing for my field study. A lot of the issues that were discussed are things that I have considered as I'm preparing for my own experience.

First, how do you get interviews? One of the most comforting things for me to hear on this topic, was that the girls who were presenting seemed to have had very successful projects, but none of them had more than about 30 interviews. Some only had about half that many. Not having a lot is ok and can still result in a successful project. In all four cases, the process of finding people to interview seemed to be about the same, and it seemed to be something that I can handle. Namely, you just show up in your country and start meeting people. Put yourself out there. Show a genuine interest in other people's lives. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you will feel comfortable asking them to participate in your project. I can do that. I have learned in the past few months that I am good at asking questions of the people I talk to and thereby learning more about them. If that's all there is to it, I think I can do it. Especially since I'm entering into a community that I have heard is very friendly and outgoing.

Second, if people are responding to you for reasons that you cannot control (I am white, I am a woman, I am a college student from the United States) leverage that to your advantage. Basically, say "yes, I am all those things, which is exactly why I need you to tell me about your perspective." I think I can do that too, because that is honestly why I want to be in South Africa. I know that I have a very narrow perspective of the world, and I want to change that. Any help will be welcome.

Third, as I will be talking to HIV-positive women about their condition, there is a very good possibility that I will hit on some sensitive topics. I thought Natalie's experience provided some valuable guidance for me. If you get into a topic that is too sensitive, sometimes it can ruin your data. People don't want to talk any more, they break down emotionally, and then you have to throw out an interview. So the lesson is, be careful and don't push it.

Finally, something that I hadn't considered, is the possibility of interviewing men to enrich my data. I will be researching the struggles that women face in access nutrition, so I naturally assumed that I would be interviewing women. But what would it be like, how would my information change if I interviewed men as well? If it comes down to a time crunch, I don't want to get sidetracked on this interesting possibility, but if the opportunity arises to talk to men as well, I think I should take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment