Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Culture Shock Strategies

Culture shock. I plan on getting it. But I think it'll be the kind that sets in slowly. I imagine that when I first get to South Africa, I will be thrilled with the novelty of my surroundings, enraptured by the physical and cultural scenery and excited to begin my adventure. At first, the quirks of a different culture will be intriguing and provoke curiosity. I can see myself wanting to know more and trying to experience as much as I can. But after a few weeks, the novelty will wear off. The quirks will become familiar, but definitely still quirky, not quite comfortable. And after a while, I can see myself longing for something familiar. Facebook at my fingertips. A dryer for my laundry. An electrical outlet I don't need an adapter for. After a while, all of the adjustments may become a nuisance, a hoop to jump through when you're tired of jumping. So what do you do then?

1. Make a friend. I think that my relationships with Holly and Quincey will prove to be extremely important for all of us. Fortunately, I have had practice living with roommates and learning how to get along. I don't foresee any problems here, but I hope our friendships will become more than just devoid of problems. I hope they will become truly excellent.

2. Do something. At first I thought it might be useful to take a break when I get homesick, but I thought about it and realized that has never been a good strategy for me. When I'm feeling low, I need to do something. Get outside of myself and make a difference for someone else.

3. Remember when I'm here. This goes back to writing a mission statement which I talked about at the beginning of the semester and never did. I think this would still be a good idea when I think about it, to sit down and write a letter to myself whey I chose to go on this trip. What I will get out of it, and what I will be able to give to other people.

So yeah, that's my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment